Community Access for Mobility
This video from the folks at Entwistle Power Occupational Therapy covers the important things to consider about accessibility and the solutions available, when an older or mature adult or senior citizen with a mobility impairment arrives at a home or building to realize that they may need help to enter.
The following items for the mature/older adult or seniors with a mobility impairment to consider will help to ensure a safer and easier entrance.
- Understand the type of mobility device you are using and its abilities and limitations
- Understand your own physical abilities
- Identify and assess the help you have available
- Seek out all available entrances and entrance types to select which one best suits your mobility aid or device
- Assess the size of the door you need to enter and what you will encounter upon entry
Julie can be reached at Entwistle Power Occupational Therapy, 1425 Cormorant Road, Suite 301, Ancaster ON L9G 4V5
Disclaimer: The opinions presented in this post are generalized and do not negate the need for an occupational therapy assessment to outline specific functional impairments and solutions for any one client